1. The most important thing about reading for a research paper is to be able to discern through the information that is being read.
2. I think the purpose the the scene was to capture the readers interest which it did a very good job at. It used a lot of imagery which helped and it was a very dramatic beginning which captured my interest. It set the scene very well with a hot summer in Georgia, I felt the heat just by reading "The grass scorched and withered in the fields, and bare patches of red clay earth began to appear and to crack and cake in the sun like the bottoms of dried up lakes.""...the heat droned and shimmered in the fields, and the locusts sprang..." I felt the strong since of friendship with the five boys and as they went to play in the river. The sense of danger arouse when the author said that the river "roiled when he hit" and then the pain that the kid went through as he made his way to the shore. He had loyalty towards his friends so that they did not suffer the same fate as he when he warned them not to jump. The other boys I sensed were scared when they saw their buddy in pain and die. I think this dramatic beginning is central to the rest of the story because it showed a very traumatic event in the boys lives that had an impact on them which might lead to how they feel are behave later in the story.
3.The main idea in this passage is identity formation it reads that a child needs to find their identity and this is one of the biggest challenges. Ones identity is often changed based on new experiences and things that happen to them. There are some peoples identity that doesn't change because they avoid experiences and new things.
4. I did approach the passages differently because the first one was identified as a novel and the second was an article and I found myself having to read the article a couple of times before I was able to write anything on it. I was easily captured by the passage from the novel because it read like a book.
When I read a book I tend to get more into it and am able to soak more knowledge and not skip around. Informational articles I have to read over a couple of times because I skip around a lot. So I did use my typical reading strategies.
My behaviors when reading text and articles I read them first and might make a mark with a pencil when I think I find something important than I go back and highlight or underline things that I might want to use. If its on the computer I will bookmark the page and I might copy and paste something relevant to the word pad, or I have printed out things to highlight info as well. It does vary on the excerpt mostly depending on where I am at and where I got it from.
I would like to think that I did take my advice based on the question. I tried to discern through the information to find the main ideas in the article, as for the novels passage there was quite a bit of information that I could pick and choose from so it is mostly based on my own opinion.
The only problems I ran into when reading these passages was the article really i found it very boring after reading something so alive and cleverly written I had to read the article several times. The first time I read it I actually didn't realize that I had read it and did not retain anything. And then I read the question and about there being two different passages and then went back to find it. So I read what I was supposed to do for that passage again then with that in mind I read the article again and than again so I was able to do the summery.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Wk 7 CR Exercise 1.8 Ways of Reading to Write
Posted by Lisa Spicer at 6:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment